Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Grandma Johnson

On the morning of March 25th, my Grandmother passed away, she had not been feeling well for some time, I was lucky enough to be able to say goodbye hours before her passing. I sure miss her and love her so much!

5 things my Grandma taught me:

1. A love of the Arts - Grandma would take me to the ballet, I loved dressing up on Saturday in my Sunday best and going with just Grandma and Grandpa to the ballet and Lamb's restaurant after the show for dinner.
2. Family History - My family history is so alive and well for me, Grandma would always make sure we knew who we were and where we came from and the great things our families had done to get us where we are, both of my children are named after my family because of her.
3. Being a Lady - Grandma was very proper when it came to your behavior, many might say very old fashion, but when we came to Grandma's house, it was to visit, it wasn't to play and make a mess, it was to listen, learn and if we wanted to, read from their vast collection of books. We were expected to ask permission to be excused from the room, not to interrupt conversations. And an understanding of how to show respect to adults, in word and action.
4. Shopping - Grandma was a great shopper, she LOVED the best of the best, Dress shopping with Grandma was one of my favorite things to do, I knew we were going to ZCMI or another upper scale department store. The dresses were ALWAYS beautiful, and perfect no matter how long it took to find. And Grandma had GREAT taste.
5. Generosity - Grandma was a giver, donating time, money, so much to the community and family and church. She always made sure our Christmas's and Birthday's were never forgotten, she always picked very nice things, sometimes more on the practical side but thoughtful none the less. She taught me, it is better to give than to receive. A very valuable lesson.
I love you Grandma, thank you for all of these lessons you have taught me and countless others!

2 comments:

Natalie Schafer said...

I am sorry about your loss Fran...the post is very nice!

Scott and Alison said...

I am so sorry to hear about you losing your grandma! She looks like she was a super sweet lady. My grandma died one year ago on the 1st and I still struggle with it. I hope you're doing well. I thought your post about what you learned from her was absolutely beautiful!!!